Thursday 28 May 2009

We Haz Cowz!



Jack brought three of his girls up to us yesterday. They're going to transform the crap grass in the front field into more moo cow and cow pats. Just what it needs. We've resisted bovines for ages, mainly 'cos our water supply isn't up to serving us in the house and keeping the moos watered, but Jack solved that like this ... (blue pipe goes to a trough in the field).


This is what we can expect to see from the kitchen window now ...


I've just ordered a copy of "The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry. Sounds intriguing. I tried to request a copy through Ceredigion County Library using their online system a few weeks back, but as I'd heard nothing I phoned the library this morning. Lady there has heard/seen nothing - says she can't remember ever getting anything from their online msg system. Ho hum. Gave up and ordered from Amazon.

BTW Managed to get the alpacas sorted on Monday afternoon with assistance from Jack and Val, even though Val could hardly walk with a bad foot, she was handy at refilling syringes and making notes. Jack did a brilliant job of catching and holding each 'nimal in turn whilst I stuck a needle in one end (blue tongue vaccine), drench in the other, and then trimmed toenails.

They were mostly well behaved, even April surprisingly. She's a big girl and usually puts up a fight, but we did her first, caught her unawares I think. Marta did her usual, plonk, down on the ground in the cush position, but we're wise to that and just pushed her over far enough to find each foot. She sat there for ages after we'd done her, must have been comfy!

Toffee was a bit of a bugger. He kept nibbling my hair whilst I was bent over trimming someone else's toes. What topped the lot was when he leaned over and bit me on the bum! Made the others laugh though.

Still, that was a good job done, and a good bit of extra exercise, all that bending must have helped! Have the vacs to do over again in a few weeks. Sigh.

I'm trying to order my new spinning wheel (one of these) but Hedgehog aren't answering ATM. Come on guys, now I've made my mind up, get my CC details whilst you can!

Having fun and games with the spider's-web shawl. Finished Chart A and put in a lifeline. Sooo glad I did, started on chart B and totally misread it! Managed to do YO, K1 all round instead of just a couple YOs at the beginning and end of each section. Duh. That gave me about 1200 sts on the needle, then I did the 2nd round and thought, that can't be right, so eventually decided there was nothing for it but to frog back to the lifeline. Sigh. Still at least I'm using a smooth yarn (Colourmart cashemere/silk) that will frog, unlike some peeps using KSH!

Did I say that I ordered a kilo of lace yarn? Must be outta my tree. What am I going to make with 26,000m yarn?!

Had some sachets of Douwe Egberts decaff in the mail this morning. I'm drinking too much of their instant pure gold and I'm sure it's affecting me. See what the decaff tastes like, if it's OK, then I have to find somewhere round here that actually keeps it!

1 comment:

  1. ROFL, "unlike some ppl using KSH"

    Don't know WHO you mean!!!

    ReplyDelete